Kootenai Electric Cooperative is located in scenic North Idaho, the heart of abundant recreational opportunities. Settled in a beautiful lakefront mountain setting, it is a favorite destination for tourists. Just outside our back door are national forests, lakes, rivers, and trails offering plenty of opportunities for hiking, biking, boating/water sports, fishing, hunting, golfing, snow sports, and much more. The four distinct seasons offer recreational opportunities year-round. The Coeur d'Alene/Hayden metropolitan area also offers a variety of entertainment and shopping venues and is a short 45-minute drive to Spokane, Washington and access to domestic and international air travel.
The Electrical Engineer collaborates with the Engineering Department to provide technical support of engineering plans, perform system modeling, and assist with the design, programming, and equipment specifications for distribution, substation, transmission, and SCADA system projects.
- Safety: Adhere to all workplace and trade safety laws, regulations, standards, rules, and practices. Use of Personal Protective Equipment as required. Take individual responsibility in managing safety risks and reporting unsafe conditions or unsafe work practices. Respond positively to safety-oriented feedback. Contribute to a culture of safety.
- Quality of Work: Produce thorough, high-quality work with minimal errors. Seek feedback, make corrections as needed. Identify problems and solve them. Strive to improve processes. Work collaboratively with team members to implement systemic changes.
- Productivity: Complete assigned work in a timely fashion. Utilize slow periods productively. Produce amount and volume expected, at accepted speed.
- Technical Skills/Job Knowledge: Demonstrate appropriate level of understanding of technical skills in area of expertise, technology, products, and/or processes involved. Perform assigned duties. Keep current on changes. Competent with all technology and industry best practices necessary to perform job. Maintain necessary certification(s).
- Communication: Oral and written communication clearly convey information. Keep others informed of activities and problems in timely manner. Listen well. Respond appropriately and respectfully.
- Teamwork/Ability to Work With Others: Demonstrate ability to work in positive manner with co-workers and/or customers with differing backgrounds, opinions, capabilities, etc. Willingly share skills, competencies, and knowledge with others. Establish and maintain strong, effective working relationships. Contribute effectively to group efforts. Promote harmony. Agree to disagree without damaging relationships.
- Accountability: Maintain excellent attendance and punctuality. Arrive on-time and be prepared to work. Accept responsibility for work and actions. Be reliable.
- Integrity: Demonstrate honesty, high ethical standards, and respect for all team members, co-workers, and KEC members.
- Professionalism: Address internal and external customers with courtesy and respect, always. Dress in work attire appropriate to the position. Communicate business information in timely fashion, using means of communication appropriate to the situation.
- Support of Cooperative Goals, Policies, and Procedures: Support Cooperative goals. Adhere to all Cooperative policies and procedures. Understand that internal customer and external member focus is always top priority. Contribute effectively in support of that priority.
- Problem-Solving: Use sound logic and methodology to solve problems. Explore multiple sources for answers, as required. Able to identify hidden problems. Propose solutions.
- Performs electric system modeling and engineering analysis.
- Assists with the development of long-range plans, construction work plans, sectionalizing studies, arc flash studies, environmental reports, and load forecasts.
- Assists with the development of material standards equipment specifications.
- Assists with system protection and addresses system coordination issues.
- Assists with determining protection and logic configurations for electronic recloser controls, voltage regulator controls, programmable logic controllers, relays, capacitors, and other electronic equipment.
- Assists with developing projects and programs for the Advanced Distributions Management System (ADMS).
- Assists with remote terminal unit, field device, and other hardware programming, testing, and commissioning in SCADA.
- Assists with the data management for system inspection and maintenance of plans.
- Assists with specification of new and/or upgraded member services.
- Assists with design and provides technical support of various system improvements as required such as new substations, transmission lines, distribution lines, and SCADA or communications facilities.
- Meets with members on technical issues.
- Coordinates and cooperates with all KEC personnel, members, local city, county, and state personnel, other utilities, contractors, and vendors as needed.
- Performs other duties as directed or required.
- Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering is required. Power systems emphasis is preferred.
- Successful completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) registration within 2 years of employment is preferred.
- Knowledge and Skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Valid driver's license.
- Mental Demands
- Available to work in excess of 12 hours during outage situations.
- Must be available for unscheduled work. May be required to be on-call 24/7.
- May be required to travel for training.
- Must have smart phone for conducting KEC business.
- May require occasionally being in an outside environment in all types of weather for extended periods of time.
- Occasionally, this position deals with irate and/or verbally abusive people both on the phone and in person.
- Travel may be required.
Interested candidates must complete a KEC employment application at www.kec.com. This position will remain open until filled. We are looking to fill the position as soon as possible, and are open to considering current students who will graduate in the spring.
Kootenai Electric Cooperative, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their disability or protected veteran status.