CALL TAKER - HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
About us: Family-owned and operated, The Spokesman-Review is the largest most used, and most trusted news and information provider in the Inland Northwest. We strive to produce the paper every day in a supportive team environment where we are dedicated to the community we serve and the well-being of our employees!
Position: Call Taker - High School Sports
Status: Part-time, occasional
Hours: Evenings & weekends, "sports" schedule
Location: Downtown Spokane, SR building
About this role: Are you planning a career in journalism? Are you a huge local sports fan? If you answered yes, consider joining The Spokesman-Review as a part-time sports Call Taker. In this position you will work in tandem with our seasoned sports reporters and editors to ensure statistics are easy to read, timely and accurate!
Step into journalism with the INW's longest running, most trusted news source!
What you'll do:
- Ensure accuracy and check for consistency with all statistical information.
- Edit statistics for spelling, style, and clarity. Double check that names, places, and organizations are spelled properly, and that facts, dates and statistics are accurate.
- Assist reporters/writers researching statistics for story topics.
- Use solid news judgment in selecting and editing wire stats.
- Answer phones in a friendly, professional manner while juggling multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Compile stats in an easy-to-read format and design the stats page to include most relevant statistics.
- Promote and assist in the development and facilitation of events designed to promote public awareness and readership of The Spokesman-Review.
- Participate and provide positive experiences at company events as a liaison with key audiences/stakeholders such as community members, readers, service providers, donors, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
What you'll contribute to our team:
- Create a positive attitude that cultivates a sense of camaraderie and chemistry in our newsroom that helps us not only achieve our goals but exceed them. This positivity is essential as we focus on helping our newspaper go forward with strategies aimed at our longtime survival.
- Proficient in use of a computer and quick learner with our content management systems.
- Regular attendance is required as well as punctuality for assigned meetings and works shifts. Ability to work in adverse conditions and unusual schedules when news breaks.
- Must understand and uphold the standards, ethics, and mission of journalism at The Spokesman-Review on all platforms.
- Premium on organizational skills, able to meet changing deadlines, deal with multiple platforms at once, keep supervisors abreast of developments, and work with other staff members on relevant stats.
- Read The Spokesman-Review, both in print and online, and stay current with all relative news sources.
- Maintain a high degree of professionalism in representing The Spokesman-Review, always striving for fairness and accuracy.
Interested in joining the team? Contact Ralph Walter, Sports Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org